Saturday, March 17, 2012

Nagasaki Lantern Festival

It's been a while, but I'll catch up you.

Evan's ship was supposed to leave in January, but do to some mechanical problems, it was better to fix the issue instead of get underway. So, Evan stayed around for another month. Yay! Right before he was supposed to leave, we went to the Nagasaki Lantern Festival with a couple friends of ours. We went on a weekday which meant that Nagasaki was far less crowded. We waited until the boys got of work before we left. So we didn't get to Nagasaki until about 6:30. We walked down Chinatown and to the main arena seeing several lanterns and light displays. Since Evan's ship was supposed to leave, I chanced going to Nagasaki again without him with an MWR trip. He stayed home, slept in, and played games all day while I got some amazing shots I didn't get to before. I was able to travel a lot more given that we had several hours instead of a few. I broke away from the large group to see as many places as I could.
They even had dinosaurs!
A Chinese violinist. I don't know how she was able to ply because it was so cold out. My fingers were freezing in my pockets.
Dancing dragons put on by a team of high school girls.

All in all, it was good fun. I was really, really cold and our shipment hadn't gotten in yet with all of our stuff, including my winter clothes, so I wore Evan's jacket. It was super crowded and I didn't get to see some of the shows the put on because I couldn't see over other people and then I had to leave.

If you'd like to learn more about the Nagasaki Lantern Festival, look here for about it's origins and traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment