Friday, July 1, 2011

Trip to Japan

After I found out I was medically disqualified, Evan and I booked me a plane ticket to visit him in Japan. So after I had my finals, my graduation, my best friend's wedding, I flew on a 22 hour trip over three planes and a train. I left on a Saturday morning and arrived midnight on Sunday, all at local time.

For my 24 day trip, the first two weeks were spent at the Navy Lodge because Evan and I did not have a house. So while we were hunting and figuring out bureaucratic, behind-the-scenes paperwork, we stayed in a hotel room. Evan did have to work some, but his boss was kind enough to let him go at lunch most of the days he had to work. He also got days of leave.

During the first two weeks, we went to three different houses over several days. We did find the house we wanted (and signed the lease on)!

It's quite large but, you'll hear more about that later.

We went on a hike up a mountain to Mt. Yumihari lookout point. We did not know how to best get up there. So we decided to wing it. We looked at the point from the base, and just started walking. As it turned out, we were pretty lucky and our path was exactly wear we were aiming for. It took a total of 5 hours for the trip. We spent close to an hour at the lookout. (Evan's got the pictures of that trip)

We did eat lots of sushi! Since we did not have a place of our own, we did not have a place to really, cook, prepare, or store food. So almost all of our meals were eating out at a restaurant. There were ordinary food choices as well as foreign-to-me food choices.

At the beginning of my trip, I felt like a visitor and like I didn't belong--I shouldn't be there. But as time went on (and we owned a piece of Japanese real estate) I felt more like a resident that I am and less like a foreigner.

Evan and I are both really excited for he and I to both be in Japan together! We'll see when that will be. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It sounds like it was a good trip! :)
    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete