Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stars in a Jar

After seeing "stars in a jar" on Pinterest, I thought to myself, "That's a cute idea! And I have all the necessary equipment, all the way down to the glow-in-the-dark paint!" So, once we used up a jar and cleaned it out, I gathered the stuff I would need to put a galaxy into a glass container that would be placed on the bedside table next to the child staring at the wonderment of how stars were captured and given to them.

Anywho, here's the basic equipment that I used:
On a table I spread out paper so I would get any mess on the table and make it look like a landing strip at night. I, of course, used a mason jar (cleaned out) including the lid, though that's probably optional and I'm sure you could use whatever you want to normally cover a glass jar. I used a toothbrush to splatter the paint. And lastly, I used glow-in-the-dark paint.

After I stirred up the paint, I dipped the toothbrush in the paint and splattered away inside the jar. I didn't realize it was going to be difficult until I started but trying to get more coverage of the jar was limited to how far my hand could take the toothbrush and still splatter. So I took the paint stirrer stick and the toothbrush down further into the jar and used the stick like my thumb. It worked so well!
I'm quite enthused by it all! I can't wait to make more for the rest of my little ones in my life!
This last one was an attempt at a picture in the dark, but when it was in the dark there wasn't enough light to see anything. But the kids loved it sitting under the covers looking at the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment