Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year

The past year has certainly been crazy and taken some unexpected turns.

It started out with Evan going to work for a few weeks at the NROTC unit until a few days after his birthday. On a trip that should have taken about a full day, instead it took four days. Due to bad weather, plane delays, and scheduling, he did not get to Sasebo, Japan until four days after he left Japan.

I spent my last semester at Tech alone in our apartment with our dog, Baron. He changed a bit when Evan left. He was a bit sad. It was probably a sympathetic emotion felt from me and consumed by him. I was the Battalion CO (the first female and female Marine CO at Tech; something I'm merely pointing out and not bragging about) but failed to commission due to medical reasons. I don't really see it as an accomplishment or raising the bar that I was what I was, it just happened. But I could go on and on about my feelings about me, the permanent staff's decision in appointing me to that position, and how I feel afterward, but I won't do that on here.

I graduated with honors from Georgia Institute of Technology in four years with a Bachelors of Science in History, Technology, and Society. That's all one degree, not three of them.

I packed up all of our stuff (with the help of mine and Evan's family) and moved it into storage. I went to my mom's house with Baron.

Evan, in the meantime, was working with Operation Tomodachi aboard the Essex. I did get to visit him for a few weeks and we saw a little bit of Japan and I got to meet the people he's been talking about that he works with.

I came back to Georgia and auditioned for a musical called "Damn Yankees" and I was an assortment of characters. I went from a housewife to a baseball player to a member of a fan club (duet number) to a baseball player and then a dancer in a nightclub scene. Immediately after that closed, I moved all my stuff (sans Baron) to Japan where I've been ever since.

Evan went to Yokosuka for "baby SWOS" and to Rhode Island for SWOS. When he came back from RI, we were fortunate to get an extra week in addition to the week he asked off. And then he left on my birthday.

I coached two teams of soccer for a short while and then quit that because I was told I wasn't doing my job right from someone who is not technically my boss but is somehow above me. I was also playing on a team. I thought it was a lot of fun and Evan was able to see one game.

I finally got command sponsorship and subsequently all the advantages that come with it (drivers license, being able to see a doctor, being able to get a job, etc).

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner just a few hours before it started. I had a fantastic time and met a whole bunch of people who have become my friends here. It's one of the best things that has happened to me here. A few of the people were on the flag football team and persuaded me to join the team. And so now I play flag. Oh, but during one practice I fell down onto my arm and it still hurts. I have a doctor's appointment about it this Friday (the day after flag returns from the holidays!). These last two games should be fun since we'll basically be starting over. A new coach, new positions, new plays. That's beneficial to me because I missed the first month or so of flag.

This new year I think is going to be fun. I will hopefully get my Personal Training Certification and work at one of the gyms here. Also, another part time job would be nice to stay busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment