Thursday, December 5, 2013

It's been 3 years

Yesterday was mine and Evan's 3rd anniversary. When Evan and I first got married I told him that our anniversary would change depending on the deployment schedule. It is a dynamic date that can only be celebrated when we are together, so that we would never have to "celebrate" it being apart.


We were fortunate enough to have to means and opportunity to visit each other in Dubai during his longest ever deployment. We really needed the break from our everyday routines. This year we were able to celebrate and acknowledge our anniversary earlier than normal. In the previous years, it was a few days late and last year was on the 4th. He had to switch duty days in order to get the Fourth off. I thought I was lucky when it was magically special he had duty on the 3rd but the 4th was off. I didn't find out until later that he had to switch to make it so. Overall, the world hates us. No, just kidding. If the world hated us, I would not have gotten to spend so much time with my husband like the 12/36 months I have...

In all seriousness, I am glad that I married Evan. Not many people (hardly anyone) know this, but I almost didn't enter the church for anxiety reasons. I don't know what I was afraid of. And as I was walking down the aisle, I felt like a robot, just going through the motions. I was about 2/3rds of the way to the altar when I thought, "Wait, what did I just do?" I wanted to stop the ceremony and start over, but then as anxiety would have it, that would have been embarrassing and would have caused more anxiety, so I decided to keep going with it and watch the video after to see what I did. Did you know I almost tripped at the beginning? That's one of the reasons I wanted to start over. I was wearing heels on a tile floor, scary stuff when they weren't worn and broken in. But it was an obvious choice to marry this guy.


Even though I would have loved to have spent the last 36 of 36 months with this guy, to me it honestly makes me still have the same love for him as when we were first married. If the honeymoon stage only lasts for the first two years, then I've got another six years to feel this way for him. And if the military has anything to do with, it will be six years. Kidding again! But if you've ever experienced a deployment, you get used to a new normal every time you are apart. Then you have to get used to living with someone. Do that enough times and it drives you batty. You can't live with him; you can't live without him.

Hopefully next year we will be able to celebrate our anniversary on Dec 4th. Until then, I am as I ever shall be,
Yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment