Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I'm in Japan!

I've been in Japan for two weeks now and it's rather nice being here with Evan. It's nice not "just visiting" or seeing him over Skype. I'm actually here! I don't have a return plane ticket. I have my passport stamped designating me SOFA status. It says I am allowed to live here for longer than their 90 visa that tourists get.

So far I've coached one youth team (7-8 year olds) and got recruited to coach a second team (11-15 year olds) and to play for the women's 18+ soccer team for Sasebo's main base. The youth teams play the other team in the same age group within the Main Base and we also play the other base affiliated with Sasebo called Hario. The women's team, we play Hario and I think we also play a Japanese team.

For the last ten years I played soccer (I played for 13 years) I was mainly in the goal playing goalie. This team I'm playing on now may mean I'm on the field. We've got a few very skilled players, including myself, and we've got some good players, and some very fresh feet who have never played before. While I've got some theories on how I would field us, that may not be how the coach decides to play us. We'll see how it all goes. For all three teams, our first games are on Saturday. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment