Monday, October 10, 2011

Chick-fil-a

I miss my chicken sandwich friend. Anytime I craved something from the chicken champion, I could take a short drive (or walk if I was desperate enough, though I never did) to get a chargrilled chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and a sweet tea. I would get an ice dream if I dared or a milkshake to finish it off.

The playground was entertaining, not for me of course, unless I brought a niece or nephew with me. A little anecdote to brighten up your day:
The first time I took Kenleigh and Aislynn to Chick-fil-a they darted to the playground while I ordered the food. No big deal, I'm used to being left to do the dirty work and pay for things for people who need to be chauffeured around because their feet can't reach the peddles OR because the law won't allow them to drive under the age. Either way, I didn't mind not fixing another pbj for the 12th day in a row. "No Chick-fil-a employee, it's my pleasure." I go to the booth in front of the playground so they can watch see me and I can keep an eye on them. I go into the playground room and tell them it's time to eat. Kenleigh looks at me with the brightest eyes and amazement, "Jennifer! Orphans!"
While indeed they were not orphans, they were children playing without their parents present. So in a way, they were orphans. Just later on after they had eaten a nugget or two, they went back to the playground. This time, Kenleigh followed a little boy up to through the maze of colored levels that should lead to the top of the slide. Well, it can be a bit confusing and challenging to find your way out if everything looks the same. So, it had been a while and Kenleigh hadn't come down the slide after climbing to the top. I go in there and she won't move. I try to tell the little boy to show her where the slide is and she still won't move (and I don't think she was willing to follow him anymore after he led her to the top where she was scared and confused). After hearing her little voice cry out for help and her determination to not get further into dispair, I bound up the playground designed for young people smaller than 42". Level after level I bend and twist until I get to where she was. A familiar face to her was the saving grace. "You saved me Jennifer! You saved me!" Yes, yes I did. And don't you forget that, dear one, when you are trying to figure out which of your aunts and uncles is your favorite.
So after I showed her where the entrance to the slide was, I let her go and climbed back down just to climb up part way to the slide so she could hear my echoing voice to guide her down to solid ground. She slid down the slide and she had had enough. The rest is a blur because I was still amused that I "saved" her and nothing as epic happened while putting on shoes.

Chicken sandwiches made with love and having an excuse to sit inside instead of the drive thru are what I've been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment