Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Japanese Addresses

More like "wtf is this?" or "how am I supposed to know how to get there?"


That above is our house address. I don't know what it says. I don't know what it means. The neighbors' plates look completely different, so it's not as if they change slightly because of the number differentiation. Nope, I have no clue what they tell natives about our house.

Our address is 1146-22 Yamato-cho. Yamato-cho is the neighborhood in which we live. I don't know what the numbers correspond to. Thankfully the taxi drivers know how the number translate to where to go. Someone else who lives in our cho, but in a different part, has totally different numbers-before and after the dash. I wouldn't know how to tell people what our Japanese address looks like if they want to write a letter (you could just send it to the numerical address above). Some houses have these a few don't...I don't know.

I think it would be great to find out what the heck that means, but really it's not that big of a deal so long as we know where we live and I don't have to try to say the above characters. I wouldn't know where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment